We are more than 8,000 prostate cancer survivors, all treated with proton therapy.
You can beat prostate cancer. The Brotherhood of the Balloon can help.
The Advantages of Proton Therapy
- Unlike traditional radiotherapy treatment, proton radiation is directed to the tumor with pinpoint accuracy resulting in less damage to surrounding healthy organs and tissue.
- With proton, doctors have the ability to deliver a higher dose of radiation to the tumor – and the higher the radiation dose, the better the chance of destroying all the cancer.
- Treatment is non-invasive and painless.
- Treatment is provided in an outpatient setting – patients can schedule treatment early in the morning and have the rest of the day to work or play.
- There is usually no impact on a patient's energy level and no recovery time.
- Significantly lower chances of secondary cancers later in life.
- Overall, there are fewer, if any, side effects compared to other treatment options.
Proton Therapy Patient Surveys
2014 Survey: Nearly 4,000 former proton patients representing 12 proton centers responded. View key findings. Read the press release. Read the complete report.
2013Survey: Nearly 2,000 former proton patients responded. Read the press release. Read the executive summary.
The Book You Need to Read
BOB founder Bob Marckini has written a book that removes much of the mystery, confusion, and fear about what to do when you are diagnosed with prostate cancer. Speaking from personal experience as a "graduate" of the Loma Linda University Cancer Center proton treatment program in 2000, he makes a strong case for considering proton therapy as a viable option for avoiding radical surgery and other treatment options that typically cause debilitating side effects.
Bob Marckini spoke about his experience with proton therapy at the 2013 NAPT conference.
There is a lot of misinformation about proton therapy in the media and even many doctors are uninformed or misinformed about proton therapy. Learn the truth.
Read breaking news about proton therapy. Leave feedback on stories that interest you. Stay up-to-date on prostate cancer and proton therapy news.
Why choose proton therapy? Watch five real patients; hear five real stories.
What is the treatment process really like? How does proton compare to other treatment options? What is the cure rate? What are the side effects?
Learn the physics. Learn about the equipment used in proton therapy delivery. Search for clinical trials. Learn about proton therapy for pediatric cancers.
NAPT is registered as an independent, non-profit, public benefit corporation providing education and awareness for the public, professional and governmental communities. Founded in 1990, it promotes the therapeutic benefits of proton therapy for cancer treatment in the U.S. and abroad.
Proton Therapy Today is an editorial website which gathers serious, trustworthy stories and information about the world of proton therapy.
What's the difference between standard radiation therapy and proton beam therapy? How do doctors decide which one to use? How do doctors decide which treatment to use?